View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #26
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I fully expect Amazon to be selling me the Fire (2) with expandable memory next year. I don't blame people for calling this a deal breaker though. 8GB is really anemic in today's market.
I really doubt that - the whole point of the Fire is to sell their own media to you (and their cloud storage service).

While I don't think they are taking a loss on the hardware, it's likely at a very slim margin - they don't really want people who aren't going to buy media from them (or their cloud storage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
you only have access to the cloud storage if you're near wifi. if you're say at the beach, you won't be able to access your stuff.

if you want to watch a couple movies, downloading them will take quite a while - and will use up a lot of your battery.
It's an LCD tablet - why are you taking it to the beach to begin with? (Not to mention the small percentage of people who actually have a beach and the amount of time they spend there...)

And you might have missed it, but streaming movies is huge business these days. Netflix, Hulu, etc, etc, etc. Something like half the internet bandwidth is used for video streaming, most of which is done via boxes hooked up to a TV (mostly game consoles, ironically, but also dedicated boxes). The only difference is that it would now go to a tablet.

Last edited by JeremyR; 10-04-2011 at 04:47 PM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote