View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's not broken that's how it should work.

If you want the authors to sort the same way they display make the two fields the same.

Some people may prefer for it to sort by LastName, FirstName but display as FirstName Lastname for example.

There is nothing to fix. Unless I am reading your message wrong.

BOb
You're reading it wrong. This is not about lastname, firstname.

If you add a book with:

Author(s): Flint, Eric & Leinster, Murray

It'll sort by Flint first. Now, let's say I want this book to sort by Leinster first. So I put in:

Author Sort: Leinster, Murray & Flint, Eric

Now Calibre will order the book along with Leinster's books and not Flints. That's great. But the *display* will still have Flint first. So you'll see:

Author(s)
Leiber, Fritz
Leinster, Murray
Flint, Eric & Leinster, Murray

Now it should be simple enough to edit the *actual* Author(s) field the way you want. And you can... I can change it to:

Author(s): Adams, Amy

And the book will display that and sort with the A's (if I change the Sort as well) just fine. But what I *can't* do is this:

Author(s): Leinster, Murray & Flint, Eric

Because Flint was added to my the database first (in my instance), it will automatically rewrite it to:

Author(s): Flint, Eric & Leinster, Murray

And there's nothing you can do about it.

Since I'm told the database can't be easily resorted, it makes some sense to me that the GUI should actually display the "Author Sort" field, rather than the "Author(s)" field, since that's almost certainly what you want. That at least masks the problem.

Last edited by sirbruce; 03-06-2009 at 04:05 PM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote