View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC View Post
You mean you just used the default settings? You have a LONG way to go before getting anything even approaching quality output. Take a look at this thread: pdftk compression option - Stack Overflow and ps2pdf: PostScript-to-PDF converter for details.
The link I posted lists explicit ghostscript command-line parameters which use the "pdfwrite" output device. I was skeptical like you when I first got the tip, but the conversion creates a perfect replica of the PDF source file except for the removal of the cropped-out text. I've used this conversion many times (in fact, it is integrated into k2pdfopt as an option because of the way it removes cropped-out text so nicely).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC View Post
Yes it is a very powerful and easy-to-use command line tool. You could 'extract pages' in Acrobat but it is not worth the bother if you need to do more than a few pages.
This program (cpdf) is awesome. It blows away the java-based equivalents on my Windows-based PC: 20x faster than pdfsam and over 100x faster than jpdftweak. And it easily handles PDFs with thousands of pages. No more java-based PDF tools for me. I hope to post a more complete benchmark at some point.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote