View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC View Post
I'll tell you, using GS for this purpose could be a nightmare. You have to fiddle with so many parameters to get a high quality result, especially on images. And even then it will not be lossless.
Did you try it? With the device set to pdfwrite, there really aren't any special parameters, and the conversion is indeed lossless. It's not converting to a bitmap. But experimenting with it a little more, I see that while it does do a decent job of eliminating cropped-out text, it does not remove images from the PDF file that are completely cropped out, so the size hardly changes if it is dominated by embedded images, which is disappointing.

[Edit, 9 Nov 2015: My statement above is only true if the source PDF uses lossless encodings for the internal bitmaps. See rest of thread.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC View Post
...The best tool I have found for this is cpdf. It is free, multiplatform, and works very well....
Great tip. I had never heard of cpdf. I will check it out. Thank you.

Last edited by willus; 11-09-2015 at 08:10 AM.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote