View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #138
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Another perspective from Forbes...

Quote:
Could it be that Microsoft’s strategy is beginning to work, and we’re seeing Windows 8 & Windows RT tablets starting to take hold? We know that enterprise interest in proactively adopting Windows 8 is muted, but our Q3 2012 Workforce Employee Survey data is remarkably promising for Windows 8′s prospects for BYOD in the enterprise, with a full 20% of information workers reporting that they want Windows 8 on their next tablet, vs. 26% for iOS. Not bad considering that Windows 8 wasn’t quite shipping yet when we fielded the survey.

We know that the primary investment strategy for Microsoft with Windows 8 is tablets, and so unless the news is accompanied by Windows 8 tablet sales data, any conclusions are meaningless.

Ted Schadler makes a well-informed case that there is no Post-PC era, and J.P. Gownder explains how the 21% of information workers who use tablets for work are actually using them. But there’s more at work here too. Apple reported last quarter that they see a lot of cannibalization of Mac sales with iPads, so what’s changing is a shift in spending away from traditional form factors to tablets. And like Ted, I argue that this is temporary.

[T]urning over an installed-base this big doesn’t happen overnight. Indeed, the report of Windows’ death was an exaggeration. No doubt Mark Twain would be laughing if he could see us now.
I bought a FireHD because 1) it was inexpensive, 2) I think the next Windows tabs will be much better, and 3) I think the next Windows tablets will be much less expensive.

That said, I only expect to buy one for my high schooler. College boy will be buying his own iron by the time WinTabs become compelling (for him anyway). It'll be two years before his S3 is up for renewal and he has a fairly contemporary laptop and a capable desktop. The wife has already put me on notice that a FireHD is in her very near future. I use whatever the company gives me.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote