View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #21
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
Right now, a situation is emerging where Apple is being perceived as the high-end product, while Google phones are the cheaper but less classy alternative. If that's the case, Apple will continue to make gobs of money from people interested in defining themselves in certain way and don't care whether Android is technically a better operating system. If I were Apple, I'd be pretty happy with this position. Right now, they are raking in record profits, and their growth has been steady despite Android's rising dominance in the smartphone market.
Apple is definitely happy, and should be. I agree that Android is perceived as being less exclusive, since anyone can make one and there are plenty of cheap options. And I don't doubt fashionistas would consider it an inferior accessory, but I would separate the phones from the OS, as I doubt people would really perceive Samsung as less classy. Heck, iPhones are mostly (by value) Samsung products.

Quote:
Just think: Google would probably kill to have a similar customer base. People who will only buy Apple computers, will only buy Apple smartphones, will only buy Apple tablets, will only buy Apple MP3 players . . .
Microsoft is more than happy to kill to go after this base. $1billion to nokia, suits against all their long-time partners. WP7's design and focus was a blatant attempt to grab Apple's audience. MS users have never been to MS itself, with the possible exception of 360 owners. They'd love their mobile userbase to behave like Apple's. Honestly though, Google seems content to fight it out feature by feature on every front, including mobiles.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote