View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #191
__Claire__
__Claire__ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Era
Problem with new Watersones screensaver

Hi !

This is my first post, but I've been lurking on MR forums for quite a while. First of all, I want to thank every one who made kindle jailbreak possible, and NiLuJe for the screensavers hack.

I've just run into a problem : two weeks ago I bought a Paperwhite at Waterstone's in London (I didn't want to wait until december for my amazon.fr Paperwhite to arrive !). I had previously read about the new update and jailbreak problems here, so I was careful not to connect to wifi at first, I installed the 1.7 jailbreak, the bridge, then updated to 5.3.0, and installed the screensaver hack, as I want my ereader to have the last-read book cover as screensaver. I stayed mostly in airplane mode, and was happy with my jailbroken kindle for 2 weeks.

I had also read in the general kindle forum about the special Waterstones screensaver that started to appear after the 5.3.0 update. But I thought that the jailbreak, screensaver hack and registering my kindle to my amazon.fr account would keep me safe from that.

Yesterday I switched on the WiFi to check books on the amazon store on my kindle. When I put it back to sleep, my book cover was gone and there was the Waterstones screensaver !

Since then I've tried reinstalling python, the screensaver hack, restarting, etc... no dice. I'm stuck with the Waterstones screensaver. I had a quick look at the kindle, but couldn't find where it was kept. All screensaver hack files seem OK, and the version is still 5.3.0

Any idea what might be going on ? I haven't seen this reported before, so I understand you might not have an answer, but at least it may act as a caveat to UK buyers out there, or point to whatever amazon is using to override the hack and/or jailbreak, possibly helping to develop a new 5.3.0 jailbreak (wishful thinking most probably, I know...)? I don't even mind the Waterstones screensaver so much, I found the stock kindle ones horribly ugly but this one is OK, but it's the principle of the thing...

This is another fact that convinces me to use my Kobo Glo as my main reader, as it does everything I want out of the box or with a minimum of tweaking without any real jailbreak; the Paperwhite lighting is very nice when it is even, but with the black cones, the color blotches (faint but there) and now this, I've almost decided to ditch it...

(NB : before anyone asks, I'm not looking for a way to get rid of special offers without paying; there are no SO kindle in Europe to my knowledge, I paid the full price at Waterstones, and nowhere did they advertised the kindle would come with their own special screensaver...)
__Claire__ is offline   Reply With Quote