View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #619
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
An error compared to what golden standard? Which examination board created the smartphone test and handed out multiple choice tests with right and wrong answers to UI design?
Really? You think a UI designer intended for the pop-up keyboard to obscure a text entry field? Wow. That defies common sense.

Quote:
The only correct standard recognized by Samsung was Apple. By describing these imitation as error fixes, you implicitly acknowledge that Apple created the standard of what is right and wrong.
No, that is common sense and established standards of design not to have errors. Apple did NOT invent the errorless UI.

Quote:
Fixing errors, de-cluttering screen space, and improving legibility in this context are just other ways of saying copying Apple. I hear this amusing phrase "common sense" from you and your companion over and over, but have yet to read an explanation of why such common sense features were not implemented by Samsung to begin with.
Carelessness. Not enough time spent or attention paid to details.

Quote:
Why did Samsung need to compare their bad UI to Apple's good UI to learn common sense? Does common sense work differently in Korea, I wonder?
Again, as previously stated, this type of detailed product comparison goes on in companies worldwide every day. I have no doubt Apple has done things very similar. Common sense goes out the window when you rush too many products to market too quickly without paying enough attention to detail. Something has to give.

Quote:
They are in fact, just poor design choices. Samsung clearly has (or at least, had) very poor designers.
I wouldn't say that exactly. Are their designers less talented than Apple? Yes. But they are not "very poor." Their products wouldn't have sold so well if their designers were "very poor."

Inferior designers lead to more mistakes in UI design.

Quote:
Heh, an icon which changes from a phone handset to a picture of a coil- or ring-bound book with the silhouette of a man on it, exactly like Apple's, clearly isn't a copy? How do you even take yourself seriously?
The color is starkly different. The borders are different. No tabs in the Samsung icon. Really, only if one is color blind or severely design-challenged would they think the two contacts icons are exactly alike.

Quote:
Shrug. At some point I have to recognize that it's not possible to have a discussion with someone who is not willing to admit what's obvious. Ten pages of these sorts of defences could only come from individuals with infinite free time and finite capacity for honesty. What I don't understand—and will never understand—is why you go to such lengths to contort yourselves into such self-evident misrepresentations of reality. What is the source of your fanatical loyalty to Samsung? Did Samsung take care of the family pet the last time you went on vacation? Did Samsung jumpstart your car during a snowstorm? How do (presumably) thinking individuals come to identify so completely with a company? Marketers the world over would like to know.
It's really difficult to have an intelligent discussion with someone who lacks basic common sense, and is highly prone to gross exaggeration, mischaracterization, and unyielding unabated fawning adoration of the company who makes the devices he uses -- to the extent that he thinks Apple invented or has a patent on errorless design!

I currently own no Samsung device -- or any of their electronic products even. I have no dog in this fight -- unlike you. And it shows. Oh, how it shows! So I have more objectivity than you.

This is not just about Samsung and Apple. This is about the current patent wars that are detrimental to both the companies involved and to consumers. But, of course, to the close minded and "religious" fanatics, they can only see it from the Apple perspective. That's sad. But not a surprise at all.

Do what you feel you need to do. But don't just talk. Walk the talk.

--Pat