View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #1160
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I think that it would be fair to make distinction based on hardware models not on the store you used to buy the ereader. I bought mine from US and it is totally compatible with the firmware.
It would be correct statement, if only, the same hardware allowed to apply the same firmware.

This is not true for "ArtaTech" and "Bookstore" distribution channels of hardware-wise exactly the same e-readers - M92.

You cannot install ArtaTech firmware on Bookstore's device and vice versa.

I guess there is a way to install one ore another firmware on the other device, but it might void the warranty and also might brick the device... And of course it would violate the copyright law in many countries....

I would add, that there are, beside those two, also other distribution channels. For sure in Russia and also in Czech Republic. It seems to me, that only ArtaTech goes its own way and separates from others distribution channels. One of the reasons is the need to protect commercial TTS software, which is said to be better than general Onyx TTS.

The question is if really one needs better TTS or even any TTS. Most users, IMO, buy M92 to read not to listen. And so, if all the problems with firmware update overweight the utility of better TTS and few other things (cloud ability, ..)
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote