View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #357
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
How would you compare it to your 700? I sold my 700 a few weeks ago, but now I'm wondering if I should have. The 700 has its flaws, but in landscape mode, and in the dark, it was always one of my favs.
Unfortunately it's been about a year since I eBay'd mine, but I can say I never had any problems or annoyances with the backlighting (and used the Sony almost exclusively in the dark) until I got some very large dust particles under the screen. That took a couple of years. In that time, it never occurred to me to look for another e-reader, and I never owned a Kindle until the Kindle 3. Since then I'd been struggling to find a good lighting solution that wasn't a $60 case, currently was using a Kandle that eats batteries and likes to slip off and spring itself across the room.

Overall, it seems I preferred my pre-dust PRS700 to my very-possibly-defective PW, because so far I've spent way more time on forums trying to figure out if my experience with this PW is 'normal' than I have actually reading books on it. I think my total number of posts here during my entire Palm Pilot/Sony/Kindle Keyboard era was 8.

If I can get a "good" PW (if mine is indeed bad), that would probably change. The PRS was also heavy and metallic, and not particularly pleasant to hold.

Quote:
You guys are complaining about minor issues.
No.

Yes, people do that on the Internet, especially with technology, this just doesn't happen to be one of those times. (I'm speaking specifically of cloudy/blotchy screens with differently-colored clouds or smudges, not the 'spotlight' effect of the LEDs.)

And as far as the "that's what you get for being an early adopter" argument goes (in general, not a specific poster), I don't know. I'm generally an enthusiastic early adopter for tech, especially things that appear to be groundbreaking and high-utility (such as the first-gen iPad and now the PW), and this is the first time I've even considered returning something this costly in the first 48 hours. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote