View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #33
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
A few comments:
- I think you will have trouble with authorfirst/authorlast/illustratorfirst/illustratorlast if a book has multiple authors/illustrators.
I think so too, re: "should they have numbers?" I think I'm trying to predict incompatibilities -- I mean, in my head I'm assuming that a <meta> like "Author" is so common that I need to use it in a "traditional" way. But your idea below--

Quote:
I would combine all info about one author into one meta, then used multiple instances of said meta to describe multiple authors:
Code:
<meta name="author" content="Raymond E. Feist|Feist|Raymond E.|feist@midkemia.com" />
<meta name="author" content="Janny Wurts|Wurts|Janny|" />
--made me think of this:
Code:
<meta name="author" content="Raymond|E.|Feist|" />
<meta name="author" content="Janny||Wurts|" />
<meta name="author" content="T.|K. F.|Weisskopf|" />
Which is stupid-easy to parse for separate values, and if it got read by some meta-utility as a single value, it would still be readable. What do you think? Similar for Illustrator, too, of course.

Twice now you've suggested email addresses. Given what I've suggested above, perhaps a different solution occurs to you? I don't want to put the email in the author slot, although I think it works in the proofer slot because it's so much less important, and not likely to be used for organizing...

Quote:
The classes seem superfluous: Personally, I prefer to use classes only to modify the default structural information. E.g. <h1>, as the "top header", is always used for title, unless class specifies something else. Similarly, <p> is always a common paragraph; I will only add class if I want to specify that it is not a normal paragraph after all.
Yeah, I think you're right -- any class names, or element names above are really just placeholders for now. Just using them to nail down the meta-section pattern. I've laid out some structural elements in a post above -- I'm open to your suggestions.

Quote:
- Not sure what would the navigation buttons be used for.
Look at the my response to pdurrant above -- navigating from place to place in the book. (You can't create links via CSS can you?)

Quote:
You can't [put <div>s in the head.] Even if you could, that would make the metainformation visible, which is not a good thing, IMO.
Right. 'nuff said, no <div>s in the head.

m a r

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 05-21-2009 at 12:24 PM.
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote