View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's a pain to have a <p></p> for every line, but at least I can control the indent.
My strategy is somewhat different. The source mark-up uses a combination of 'display' 'block' and 'inline' elements with various margins to produce something that is at least recognizable poetry even with CSS-less rendering. My conversion process turns all 'magin-left' properties of block-level elements in levels of nested <blockquote/> tags and 'margin' properties of inline elements into non-breaking spaces. I need to test it with more mark-up samples, but it works pretty well with what I've thrown at it so far.

Unfortunately, it is still a case of "as close as possible"... Even though I figured out how to do hanging indents in converted markup, the Mobipocket renderer doesn't allow a block with a hanging indent to have a left margin. And yet another quirk of the Mobipocket renderer is that when you have something like <blockquote width="0pt"><font size="2">Text....</font></blockquote> then the second and later lines in the "Text...." are indented less than the first line. This seems to be because <blockquote/> is indenting by "1em" -- so the first line is indented at the default font size, then lines which begin within the <font/> tag are indented at the <font/>-specified font-size.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote