View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why don't you use a PDA? Reading on a Palm or Pocket PC is a perfect acceptable experience - I did it myself for well over 10 years before buying my Sony Reader. Both Palm and Pocket PCs allow you to read MobiPocket books, which gives you access to a huge range of current fiction, as well as all the free stuff.
Reread his post: He mentioned "organizers" which is another term for PDA, and he didn't like using them to read eBooks.

I personally think Mobipocket Reader sucks. Everytime they upgrade it they break something. The last upgrade destroyed all my bookmarks in over a dozen books.

What is needed is a true eBook markup language that can be displayed in multiple readers and yet still be secure enough to compel the publishers to publish in it. Until that happens you guys are wasting your time here. No publishing house is going to publish in dozens of different eBook formats and consumers are not going to buy eBooks en masse until any eBook can be viewed using nearly any eBook reader. If each publisher designs their own markup language, then that will fail too unless one of them eventually becomes the standard. I'm afraid we are in for a multi-year wait until eBooks are a true alternative. I for one have read just about all the titles of interest to me that are available in eBook format. Most Of what I read is NOT available as eBooks. Just try finding books on the best sellers list in eBook format. Even the hugely popular Harry Potter series are not available in eBooks. I predict that the consumers will soon turn away from eBooks out of pure frustration, and then even fewer titles will be available.

We don't need new eBook readers. We need more eBooks and we need them in a standardized and highly versatile format or this industry will soon die!