View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #99
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkkia View Post
The computer aka host aka server side uses Java. It should work fine on linux, Mac OSX and Windows without any source code changes. Just be sure to get the serial port name correctly. That's the theory at least - would love to hear if it actually works as well.
So no, it appears it does not work properly on Linux. I followed your instructions and can't get the Serial_VNC to connect to PC. The "ring" just stops rotating, and that's it, there's no trace of connection in vnc's logfile. I'm able to connect to m92's getty via gserial (port is /dev/ttyACM0) so this is not the port issue.

I used "vanilla" vnc-java client as it comes from tightvnc as well as vanilla vnc server 1.3.9 (it says protocol versions supported 3.3, 3.7, 3.8, 3.7t, 3.8t) and i'm able to connect to the vnc server on localhost to view my own desktop. So it appears vnc works.

I noticed though that on linux the default port for VNC is 5901, not 5900 (display 0 is the X server...) so perhaps this is the issue. Does Serial_VNC presuppose the connection will be to 5900? (edit: forcing vnc to use display 0 corrupts display on client, but server works - still, this didnt help to Serial_VNC not running)

Also, vnc-server asks for user password. Should I perhaps run it without password? (edit: apparently there's no obvious way to do it but i have view-only password set to "no").

Last edited by janek; 09-05-2012 at 08:25 AM.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote