View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
It might be the point, but it gets tedious anyway. I understand that the pages of planning that go into taking a walk are intended to convey how oppressive the social conventions were, but it's smothering to read. I'm not a detail person and struggle with other authors who saturate their books with descriptions of every little thing. At least in Austen's novels it serves a purpose.

I did like the subtlety of this novel compared to her others, star-crossed lovers are rarely dealt with this respectfully. I was afraid to root for them, since the happy ending wasn't a forgone conclusion.
Oh, I was kidding; I know you know that. I realize it's a matter of taste. I love to lose myself in those convoluted sentences and minutiae, but I acknowledge it's not everyone's cuppa.

I especially liked just the hint that Anne Elliott might have been happy with one of the other potential suitors. Not really William, since she was rightfully suspicious of his transformation and motives, but Captain Benwick seemed a distinct possibility. Had Frederick Wentworth ended up with Louisa, I could just see Anne's deciding that she had enough of commonality with Captain Benwick to make a marriage with him the best of her options.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote