View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton View Post
Is there any empirical data on the comparative contrast between the words and the screen background on the various readers? I've read that the new Sony Reader has better contrast than the older model, but how much better? Is it possible to compare the displays with a densitometer or something? I'd be curious to how the various devices fare in this test. Does anyone have solid information on which (ePaper) display has the best contrast? I have a Sony Reader PRS-500, and as much as I like it, I'd like it a lot more if the background were closer to actual white paper in appearance.

Jim
Nobody's done a test like this.

However, may I point out that the older eInk devices all pretty much use the same older display and the newer ones all use the, newer, Vizplex display. As both these are from the same OEM source, you're not going to get much (shouldn't have *ANY*) difference between retail sources for Vizplex-based eInk readers. And I'm quite positive I read *somewhere* that PVI is working on creating a newer generation of eInk displays (available by late 2008/early 2009) that will be even closer to a white paper background - although I have both the PRS500 and the Cybook Gen3 and I'd equate the PRS500 to the gray of a really crappy Trade Paperback text while the Cybook is closer to the color of a good-quality newspaper page.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote