View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #234
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
yeah I'm feeling that. : )

finally got to humping some "ioctl(fd,_IO('F', 0xdd), &myarea);"'s all of my very own

Who knows. maybe one day I will understand your code enough to use it : D

The last 6 months has seen HUGE leaps for all the kindles in terms of software and support. The issue is many of the original and even current devs have lives / get bored / move on etc etc : )

ce la vie.
I think when I get a little time I will make a "human readable" version of my eink code... Because I use logical expressions instead of if-else chains, it makes for complex parsing to understand the formula. But if-else causes branching and possible cache-misses and cache flushing, so is not friendly on modern multi-level cache systems (yes, even the kindle)... Branch-free programming is the ONLY way to go, for maximum speed and minimum energy consumption. Table lookups (the OLD speedup method) are slow on modern processors. CPU is far faster than RAM access. Often better to recompute (especially low-cost differential computations like I use) than even a table lookup. I have studied this stuff a LOT for other projects. For multi-processor apps, I like lock-free queues too. Mutexes suck.

And 5.3.0 is a big reason for devs to move on to "greener pastures" (non-amazon devices).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote