View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
I know this is probably a question for Americans, but I'll take the opportunity to express my dissatisfaction with the additional charges by Amazon. I don't know if it is only where I live or also in other parts of Europe, but, for example a book that is $0,99 for Americans, is $3,44 for me. VAT here is 20% and I expect to be charged something in the range of $1,20 (as it is when I shop from Kobo). I guess the difference comes from the "free" shipping.
I live in Brazil, and if I try to buy any book using my brazilian address, there's a $2 surcharge on every book (not sure whose fault this is). Therefore I always use a fake US address and a proxy to purchase Kindle books.

As for the question posed by the OP, since I'm not a resident of the US I don't pay the tax when Amazon ships stuff to my hotel. And speaking as a tax auditor familiar with the literature on tax compliance, I highly doubt a substantial fraction of buyers ever pay such taxes.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote