View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Pholy:

Let's not over-think the term "literary fiction" -- I tried to set broad parameters in the OP. (I didn't call it ageless and enduring, btw: hard to do that for "recent" publications.) Lots of fiction fits easily into one genre or another: thrillers, for example, or cozy mysteries. We already have threads for many of these.

Here I am intending for us to share other works; I even added the word "acknowledged" since there are clearly works that aspire to deeper depictions of the human condition; or are word-smithed with particular cunning; or in some other way stand out from the pack. Many, but not all, turn up as leading award nominees.

Carpetmojo:

I like your snippets of what "literary" might mean to you: written intelligently ... with passion ... entertain ... don't want to be preached at, but am willing to be persuaded.

All:

I'm also hoping the discussions are mainly about the books, and not primarily about "what literary fiction means to me". Ultimately, I am looking for some collective insight into some worthwhile recent books to read that might otherwise be overlooked in other threads devoted to specific genres.

Uplifting and memorable books ... tales that help you think about the world in a new way ... always welcome.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote