View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #17
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have a Sony Touch and I find it's easier taking notes and underling on the Kindle. On the Sony, it's a bit more difficult starting and stopping the highlighting exactly where I want, even with the stylus, and calling up the virtual keyboard introduces a bit of a lag into the process of entering text. There's nothing like having a permanent physical keyboard right there whenever you need it. The Sony isn't bad, but in my opinion, the Kindle is better and easier for that. I take notes and use the dictionary function constantly. If Amazon ever comes out with a touchscreen Kindle, I hope it will be an addition to their Kindle line, and not a replacement.

Thinner I don't need. Like you, I'm afraid thinner could result in a less sturdy device.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm championing the K2 over the Sony Touch in every respect. There are areas where I feel the Sony outshines the Kindle (such as page turning), but note-taking and ease of dictionary use are, in my opinion, not those areas.
My previous device was the Sony PRS-700. Although the Kindle is overall a better device I definitely think a touch screen would be a great addition (certainly for the mainstream audience - touch screens are quite a fad at the moment).

I think a capacitive touch screen would be far better than the resistive screens on the Sonys. And there is no reason the Kindle can't keep the keyboard and other physical buttons. I'm personally not a fan of devices that only use touchscreen as the input method as they are severely limited and annoying to use. That said, I don't really find the keyboard on the Kindle useful as I don't type much text on it. If the screen was quicker to refresh and the device easier to navigate (i.e. if it had a touchscreen) I would actually find the keyboard more useful.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote