View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Since I pretty thoroughly outline my stories before I start writing, I get the "flow" in most sections, start to finish... in fact, I usually wait until I get the "flow" for the first chapter that I officially start writing.

Certain transitional moments need a different kind of attention, in order to make sure one section dovetails with another, and I don't see much of a "flow" there. But overall, for me, about 85-90% of any novel "flows."

Following your analogy, I sometimes, but not always, get a "flood," where I'm so deeply committed to the moment that I just knock out 2-4 powerful chapters in a sitting, usually the climax of the book. I usually have to go back and perform the most triage on those sections, because, like a flood, a lot of material can be overlooked, subtexts can be subsumed by hyper-activity, and mistakes can be made and missed in the chaos of the moment.

I prefer "flow" to "flood," as it means the story that comes out is more coherent. I just have to be more careful to maintain the excitement of the "flood" in the appropriate moments.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote