View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
The big difference between trad pubbed authors and indie authors is that trad pubbed authors have gone through a gatekeeper. Specifically, a publisher has been confident enough that their books would sell that the publisher has invested thousands or ten thousands of dollars in that book.

Indie books don't have gatekeepers; the answer to the lack of gatekeepers is supposed to be reviews. But if reviews aren't a useful way of sorting indie books, then it is even harder to separate the wheat from the chaff.

That's why this matters for indies much more than it does for trad pubbed books.
It might matter more to the reader but the act itself is still the same, no matter who the the perpetrator is.

Easy for me to say as I don't pay much attention to reviews or ratings unless I really dislike a book and then I may look up the reviews. Backwards of me I know

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote