Thread: Ebook Piracy
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Well, the problem is that these are all misleading questions, not really a poll that will reflect what people think about ebook piracy (and what constitutes it).

2-3 don't actually have anything to do with piracy except as a way of mispresenting demographics and the 4th is ultra-misleading in that - that's the way it is NOW. Strangers do dictate an author's wage, by voting with their pocketbooks on if they should or should not buy a book.

Although I think that the question is supposed to suggest a 'pay what you think this book is worth' method? Which, personally, is one that always strikes me as particularly bad.

I think the real questions center around:

1. If people believe format-shifting of ebooks is piracy or not.

2. What to do if there is no authorized electronic copy.

3. The 'is there a lost sale if I'd never have bought it to begin with' theory.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote