View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #19752
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
BTW, #20 in the Phryne Fisher Series, Murder and Mendelssohn written by Kerry Greenwood is still not available in either the US or Canada as an eBook, so I finally gave up and bought it from Audible. It is read by Stephanie Daniel, and very well read indeed. This is the last of the Phryne books that Ms. Greenwood has written so far, and I really can't stand the thought that I'm going to have to wait some indefinite time to get a new one. They are such little gems. Witty and wonderful.
Scheduled for September 2014. I'm hoping that it arrives by then. I'm currently reading #17, Murder on a Midsummer Night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now for The Good, The Bad and the Undead by Kim Harrison. The second in her Rachel Morgan/The Hollows series.

I liked the first one, but I'm not sure her world building is coherent enough for me. We'll see how this one goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I quite enjoyed it, myself - and don't forget, the series concludes in September. Over the course of the series, I've found the world to grow in intriguing ways, both personally for the characters and metaphysically as a whole. Lots of surprises are coming your way...

Aside from the novels and the short story collection, there are three other works to be aware of. Two graphic novels take place before the books, when Rachel and Ivy first start working together. Neat stuff, but it's all backstory. Then there's The Hollows Insider, which is sort of a cross between an encyclopedia and a "found documents" story. Again, it's nifty supplemental stuff, but not essential.
I've loved this series. I'm on the waiting list at the library for the most recent book, The Undead Pool, and that catches me up until September's release of The Witch With No Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I like to get to know the characters and see how they develop. I feel like novels have more details than short stories and the plot progresses in a gradual way. Short stories have generally very few characters and almost all of the short stories I've read felt rushed and ended in an abrupt way.
Yeah - that's my attitude, too. I enjoy short stories written in the "world" of a novel series since they're just small vignettes involving characters I've already come to like (or loathe). I'm not interested in reading stand-alone short stories.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote