View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #43
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
specsavage, I enjoy McDevitt but his Hutch series is closer to hard SF than space opera (the scope of the plots are narrow) and his Benedict series (just finishing up book 4) is more mystery than SF. I mean the Benedict MacGuffins are quite SF but the essentially-mystery plots could be rewritten into other genres.

I found the Hutch series to be overly formulaic but still entertaining.

The Benedict series is better written, IMO. I am still unhappy with some of the ways they get into trouble. Just how many times do you need the asteroid deflection system on your spaceship to be manually operable before you just leave it in that configuration? And if I were them I'd be checking out every skimmer I used more thoroughly, lol. It isn't paranoia if they really ARE out to get you. Okay, more serious note, I felt his characters don't show enough emotion, considering the wringers he puts them through.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote