Thread: Sungale EB601
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sungale EB601

Sungale is a maker of small electronic devices like digital picture frames, IP radios, and the like. The EB601 is a departure from the rest of Sungale's products in that it is the first to use an epaper screen. There were a couple mock-ups and 1 functional unit on hand. The one functional unit had an incomplete and still buggy firmware, so I couldn't actually read anything on it. The projected release date is April with a retail of $169.

They're not planning to add DRM support, but it will have FBReader. I have one of the handouts in front of me, and the specs are as follows:
  • 6" screen
  • 600x800 resolution
  • 16 level gray scale
  • text to speech
  • ebook formats: HTML, PDF, Epub, TXT, Doc, PPT, Excel
  • picture formats: JPG, TIFF, BMP, PNG
  • Audio formats: MP3, WMA
  • Storage: SD (up to 16 GB)

I'll scan the hand out and post it when I get home. You can't tell from the pictures, but there are 2 speakers on the back in the lower corners. There are 4 buttons below the screen: font size, menu, return, and orientation. There are 11 buttons on the right of the screen, the 11th is labeled mark. I would assume that this is for bookmarks.

You may recall that I reviewed the Sungale Cyberus. I didn't think it was a very good ebook reader. The rep I spoke to was familiar with my review and agreed with me. I got the impression that they were more unhappy with the fact it had been labeled an ebook reader than the review.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0170.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	691.5 KB
ID:	42782   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0173.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	42783   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0185.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	42784   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0186.JPG
Views:	790
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	42785   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0187.JPG
Views:	681
Size:	785.6 KB
ID:	42786  

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-12-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote