View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
indeed, my concern was that it would be "corrosive" for the screen!
Saliva is very useful, and not just for cleaning. When I was working as an optical craftsman, we used it as a carrying agent for our abrasives - water dried out too quickly. Not very hygienic, but if you're grinding a two-handed piece of glass and you can't reach for a water bottle... spitting is a very convenient option.

The enzymes won't harm the glass screen. They're good like that.

When we worked on glass we needed to be clean and unscratched, one of our favored methods was a well-worn men's handkerchief, washed or rinsed free of soap.

My old master also discovered polystyrene packing foam was good: it would not harm any coating (making it great for coated lenses), and picked up grease and dirt without scratching. Sounds weird, but he had a paper published on it. (Bit of a story to that...)

Get a piece of packing foam, break a bit off, so you have a fresh, clean surface, and wipe gently. I use it on my spotting scope and camera lenses.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote