View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #191
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Edit: D'oh! I found this thread via the search, and didn't realise it was located in the News forum. Mods, please feel free to move my post to the General forum, or if you let me know I can create a new thread there and you can nuke this post.

---

So... I received my Nexus 10 on Friday and have spent the weekend with it glued to my hands.

In terms of build quality, image quality, response time, and general hardware concerns, I find no discernable difference between it and the 3rd gen iPad. The Nexus 10 is a great piece of hardware.

Software? Simply put, Android 4.2 is the best mobile OS I've ever used. For reference: My only previous experience with Android is my Motorola Milestone (Droid in the U.S.), which is running 2.1, and the latest version of iOS I've used is 5.1 on the 3rd gen iPad.

Some of my favourite things:

- It took me a few e-mails to get the hang of it, but I absolutely adore typing via keyboard swiping. So fast, so cool.

- Widgets have already changed how I read my e-mail, I've put an e-mail widget on my lock screen so I don't even have to unlock the tablet to check for new mail. I also use a calendar widget, a weather widget, and a word-of-the-day widget. Love them all.

- The ES File Browser is great. With it I can connect wirelessly to my laptop, my SkyDrive, my webserver, and transfer files from them all.

- I love having a menu that collects all my apps, making me free to keep only a select few on the desktop to reduce the clutter. On iOS I used folders for this purpose, but I much prefer the menu system. It's true that I still use one folder on my desktop, but overall it's a much tidier experience.

- The notification bar is a thing of beauty. Makes it easy to quickly scan newly arrived e-mails, launch newly downloaded apps, respond to Google Talk chats, and all kinds of things.

I'm very pleased with my purchase, the only real complaint I have is with the cover. I bought the authentic Google cover along with the tablet, and it's a bit underwhelming.

Yes, it turns on/off the tablet, and it's pretty slick how it attaches to it and becomes part of the tablet, but I really wish Google would've taken a page from Apple's playbook and made it so the cover can be turned into a stand.

As it is, not only is it less functional than Apple's version, but it also makes the tablet less comfortable to hold. With the iPad I often fold the cover into a triangle when I hold it in my lap or on an armrest, but I have no such option with Google's cover.

Luckily there's third party solutions for that.

Last edited by K. Molen; 04-29-2013 at 03:03 PM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote