View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #61
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
I agree with mgmueller's posts in the sense that I also share his frustration at so-called reviews that are not on topic.

I use reviews (and I mean non-professions reviews) a lot, every time I buy some device and every time I go in holiday (I'm tight so if I spend my money I want at least the illusion that I get good value).

On the other hand, frustrated as I am, I will not stop using reviews, I'll just sigh when I read a moronic one (or I may swear loudly, depending on who's around me) and keep going.

As for someone saying that they did not find reviews in this Forum to be bad this is easy to explain I think.
All users of this Forum (and of lots of other Forums I'm sure) are to some extent a self-selected focus group. We all have a guaranteed minimum level of interest in the subject matter of the Forum and, for all the disagreements that I'm seeing here, all users do have things in common.

To some extent, I think we understand each-other because we like similar things (books, e-readers, gadgets) enough so that our differences are less important. I don't know if this sentence makes a lot sense but I can't put it any other way.

To begin with everyone here reads for pleasure which actually indicates a certain kind of personality.

I don't want to sound elitist so I'm not saying readers are "better" than non-readers. But as reading is an activity that requires one to have an attention span higher than the average squirrel I tend to believe that reviews made by readers (and ones interested enough to be on a Forum) are worth more than peanuts.

I came to this Forum as a whiner (I had a problem with my Kobo) and then I discovered so many new things and so many people that discussed things that were interesting to me.
So it is only logical that I will trust reviews I see in this Forum more than reviews on other sites.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote