View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
Fastboot is not there on kindle 3, is there? Maybe we just.missed it for whole this time...
The kindle 3 GPL source code contains a uboot-1.3.0-rc3 folder. "grep -r fastboot *" does not find fastboot. So the answer to your "loaded" (negative) question is either "yes, fastboot is not there", or "no, fastboot is not there". Another type of loaded question is "did you stop beating your wife?". English can be difficult in cases like this.

Fastboot is in the bist (built-in self-test) build of the u-boot bootloader in newer kindles, which loads from mmc and runs when you boot with idme bootmode fastboot.

USB Downloader mode has much of the same functionality as fastboot, and it cannot be locked to prevent flashing unsigned custom code once it has been unlocked (by burning a configuration fuse in the SoC). It is unlocked in all the kindles shipped so far.

There are comments in the kindle 5 (touch) u-boot source code showing configuring settings for a future kindle device that uses signed firmware images, so this future kindles might be locked to prevent custom firmware, and then we can only exploit firmware bugs to run custom code, like we have been doing in the past.

The kindle 3 uses the freescale iMX35 CPU SoC, which also has USB Downloader mode. It uses a different USB VID/PID than the iMX50 CPU SoC, and requires a different downloader tool (AdvancedToolKit, instead of MfgTool). I have AdvancedToolKit install on my host PC, and I verified that it reports that it successfully downloaded and ran code in my kindle 3.

If you really want fastboot on the Kindle 3, you could backport it from kindle 4 GPL source code.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-25-2012 at 11:49 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote