View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Inspect the board at the pad areas.
Using a very bright light to penetrate the green protective masking helps.

What you are looking for is the pad which is connected to the very large area "shadow" - THAT pad is the "Gnd" connection.
Based on that description, it looks like pad #1 (pictured below) is the Gnd connection:

Quote:
On the DX, DXG both U-Boot and the kernel serial console uses:
115000,8,n,1

All other Kindle models use only 115000,8,n,1
The above are the options I went with.

Quote:
Using ONLY the lead marked "Rx" from the adapter (which you now have optioned for 1.8 volt operation - see above) as a test probe ;

With your terminal emulator running, already configured for the proper line speed conditions ;
(Doing this first prevents any of the setup command and initialization commands from reaching the Kindle.)

Connect your "test probe" lead to one of the remaining three pads ;
Restart the kindle ;
Do you see readable characters in the terminal emulator?
  • NO: Try the next un-tried pad - repeat the "Restart Kindle" step.
  • YES: That is the proper connection point for the "Rx" lead.
This leaves you with two pads and one wire.
Have just verified the connection points for the first two wires.
This is where I'm stuck. I've tried connection the "Rx" lead to all 4 pads and restarting the DXG in each instance, yet still no output.

Strangely, I've noticed that once the DXG is fully booted, if I touch the lead to one pad or another, I see a character that looks like a diamond with a question mark inside. Sometimes one of these characters appear, sometimes two, three or four. Occasionally, I got some other strange characters. Below is a pic I took after touching the lead to different pads many times:

What does it mean that I can't get a regular output but these weird characters show up?
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote