View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I beleive the dresden files are about vampires? Don't particularly care for vampire tales. However Brett, Freidman and Durham are possibilities. I was looking at Brett's novels this morning and they are looking good.
Dresden isn't ABOUT vampires but there are vampires in the books.

The main character is a magic user/detective in Chicago. He does part time work for the Chicago Police when they run into things that 'go bump in the night' they call him to bump back.

It is a VERY good series, probably my favorite one to date and I've read a LOT of books. Great characters, good action scenes, I love the sense of humor that the main character has. As in I find myself laughing out loud while riding the train to work and have to cover it up to a snicker.

I also like how the series builds up. Each book is pretty self contained with it's own story but they build on the history the others have established. Also significant amounts of time can go by between books... a year or so. Over the course of several books some minor characters will age/grow up and become more important.

As for vampires on of the things Butcher does is in his world is that there are different kinds of vampires. None of them are 'good' and they are there to be the bad guys. There are whole books without them though and many other bad guy sorts around. (I love the Denarians... such a cool concept).

It is a LONG series and it is not done yet. He seems to be doing 1-2 books a year. It's one of those series that once you read it and are hooked you try to get everyone else around you to read it. I'm up to about 6 converts myself.

If you want to try it my own personal word of warning... I found the first book (Storm Front) 'ok'. It wasn't bad but far from the greatest book I've read. Things really picked up in the 2nd book (Fool Moon - werewolfs... again different kinds are there). I found the 4th book the weakest in the series so far but things really pick up after that.

Good hunting.

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote