View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #179
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
the menu when viewing library

edit:
-does the iliad support reflow at pdf files? because of reading only pdf with text
-is there any function to manage my feeds directly on the device? so that i can connect via wlan and refresh them directly with just pressing a button for example on my way
or to save a page directly like a forum and if come to a wlan spot, refresh that also directly
-is the input lag while scribbling more on the iliad?

im just more into the iliad again, i know, im weird but its much money and im student
main thing is the size, but i fear that i have to zoom very much in my pdfs that i have and that the iliad is much slower than DR im also very sensitive to input lag
- iLiad is zooming files, not reflowing. Personally, that's what I like. I want the layout to remain "intact". And: You "freely" can zoom. Mark the area of interest via touchscreen and "explode" it to full screen. Fast and convenient.
- Feeds directly on the device? Not that I'm aware of. But it shouldn't be complicated, to modify the existing solutions accordingly. For example, I've used a tool, which was able to download daily comic strips. Should be possible, to modify the script accordingly, referring to newsfeeds instead of comic strips.
Or you could use "calibre". Collecting the newsfeeds of interest in "calibre" and upload via WiFi onto your unit.
- Scribbling: It's hard to compare, I would have to scribble the very same doodle in parallel on both units. My gut feeling says, iLiad is a bit slower. In my opinion, both are "horrible". I can't imagine, jotting down notes in real-time on any of those units. I even don't find it acceptable on my UMPC, which is significantly faster. Too little space on the note/screen, too much lag, unnatural writing position, ...
But it can be done, recognition rate is surprisingly good.
And via it's Windows companion, you can merge scribbles and PDFs.
But it surely can't be any replacement for a tablet PC.
- Speed: If you permanently have to zoom in and out, it gets kind of annoying. But in "normal" use, speed is absolutely fine. It really depends on your source material. Do a simulation on your PC. Change your resolution to 800x600 and choose a window size, comparable to iRex iLiad. Then read your material and imagine, every action will take 0.5 to 1 second.
Examples:
I very often read "Spiegel" ePaper on iRex. The original ePaper, without any reformatting.
On the other readers, it's tough because of the smaller screen size. On iLiad it's fine, on 1000S it's brilliant.
I have to zoom in, else it's not readable. But the headlines are readable, so I precisely zoom into the areas of interest. I zoom in and then pan to read further.
I've tried the very same with "Süddeutsche Zeitung", my local newspaper. The original ePaper again. No way to use it. The area I zoom in simply is too small, no fun. Workable, but stressful.
- Input lag again. You mention it twice, seems to be important. Might be a potential showstopper. Lag of touchscreen is significant. And I find it less precise than tablet PCs, whatever calibration I may try. Lag of menu entries on the other hand is acceptable to me. I'm mainly in the "flow of reading" and not permanently changing menu entries. BUT: If I would have to do researches, for example look up certain paragraphs, and then follow-up on links and cross-references, I certainly would give up after 2 minutes. Too slow, onscreen keyboard not convenient enough, ....
In that case, I'd consider a tablet PC or UMPC.
Personally, I'm using the 7" Samsung Q1. Great unit for surfing the web or checking emails or purchasing eBooks while in the bathtub or on the couch. But even on that UMPC, writing more than 20 words is really time consuming. So I'm writing this entry on my iMac, although I've read it first on my UMPC.
In general: Tablet PCs still are very exotic for a reason. There are few applications, where this kind of input makes sense.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-04-2009 at 03:00 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote