View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #40
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Installing CM10.1 Internally on Nook Tablet

I've been running CM10.1 build by XDA Developer Succulent version 06/29 on SD card since its release a weekago, and its reliable/stable performance has crossed the threshold for me to finally take the plunge and install it internally on emmc (updating the tablet from Succulent’s CM10.0 build dated 12.31).

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM10 internally on my 16GB Nook Tablet (i.e., on its emmc) (caveat emptor: adopt/follow it at your own risk).
  1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows. If you are going to use this card for backing up your NT, keep in mind that each backup will require at least 600MB (for a barebone stock or CM config) and size the partition accordingly.
  2. Obtain and copy to the SD card the following files:
    1. MLO, u-boot.bin, and flashing_boot.img in boot.zip obtained from http://goo.im/devs/succulent/acclaim
    2. either one of the two recovery program image files: cwm_6.0.2.8_acclaim_recovery_sdcard.img (ClockworkMod Recovery (aka CWM)), or twrp_2.4.3.0_acclaim_recovery_sdcard.img (TeamWin Recovery Project (aka TWRP)) from http://goo.im/devs/succulent/acclaim/recovery , rename it to recovery.img. If you want to try out (or use) both, name your alternate choice altboot.img.
    3. the file cm_acclaim_10.1.0_29JUN2013_HD.zip from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...k-tablet-0218/
    4. the file gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...k-tablet-0218/
  3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
  4. Select either SDC Recovery (or Alternate Boot depending on which recovery tool you want to use).
  5. Select Backup to backup your current NT config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data). Before proceeding to next step, see note (ii) near the end of this post.
  6. Select Wipe data & factory reset.
  7. Select install zip from SD card and install cm10 zip file.
  8. Select install zip from SD card and install gapps zip file.
  9. Select power of and remove SD card from NT and power NT on again using the power button (alternatively you can just remove SD card and select reboot).

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored)

A few additional points worth noting:
  1. Installing CM10 ROM and gapps will override your NT's BN-provided boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using backup process in step #5 above, safekeep the backup data on your PC/Laptop and better yet archive it on CD/DVD. Your media files in the NT media partition BN allocates for user should be intact.
  2. To play it safe you should do the above in 2 phases: steps 1 through 5, then exit recovery and remove and mount SD card on PC to verify that backup data got newly created; then insert SD card and continue steps 6 through 9.
  3. CWM and TWRP use different backup archive formats, so keep this in mind if you decide to switch. Furthermore, CWM has changed its archive format going from release 5.x to 6.x, so I think it would be prudent to save a copy of the recovery program together with the backup data it generated. (FWIW I prefer the tar/zip compatible backup data structure TWRP uses (which CWM 5.x had also used) over the BLOb structure which CWM 6.x use -- but YMMV).
  4. To restore from backup data, boot into SD card and select from boot menu the same recovery program that was used to create the backup data, then select the particular backup dataset (indexed by date/time) you want to reinstall on your NT.
  5. I would advise against blindly using other functions of the CWM and TWRP without looking up info and researching to understand what they really do.
  6. See my post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=31 for more "Info, Pointers, and Tips for Risk Mitigation in Rooting and Custom-ROM Flashing".
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote