View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 02:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All I can say is that I'll leave this one to people who like this kind of thing .

I'm absolutely not putting down your efforts, Don, but to me, "Chaucer in modern English" is as dreadful as re-writing Shakespeare in modern English would be. You're losing his original language, and what's the point of reading Chaucer other than for the beauty of his language?

Middle English is not THAT different to modern English. It's not like reading "Beowolf" or "Sir Gawain and the Green Night" which, although written in a language called "English", are essentially incomprensible other than to scholars. Chaucer is easily understandable to a modern reader with a little bit of practice.

As I say, please forgive me if I sound as though I'm putting down your efforts; I'm certainly not. This is just a "pet hate" of mine, to "rewrite" a literary classic to make it "easier" for the reader. Rather like "Reader's Digest Condensed Books", IMHO
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote