View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
I assume it's intended to reduce the risk of libel. I don't think you'd need to name the specific character(s) unless you wanted to. I guess it could make the story more interesting in some contexts.

When talking about pro-fic, people may publicly admit that the character is "based on" someone IRL, but they change the name (at least slightly :-). I.e. it's still considered a fictional character. I suspect they just leave the standard disclaimer as it is, whatever they normally use. If I was trying to sell something, I'd probably stick with the convention; I'm a very conventional person :-).
I don't actually name him specifically in the story, I just use a vague description and use some of his mannerisms. The story needed someone like that, and I thought it would be fun to stick him in it and see if anyone recognised him. I sent him a copy via someone else (he doesn't have a computer), and apparently he was quite chuffed about it. Which makes me quite giddy too
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote