View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #43
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
It was unintentional in the sense that it wasn't some clandestine program by Google to breach people's security for their own nefarious purposes, as Hans seemed to be implying. This is consistent with the decision of Canada's Privacy Commissioner which described the admin reasons at Google that the inclusion of the relevant code didn't trigger a privacy review by counsel. And I don't know how upset I am about Google cars taking snapshots of unencrypted wi-fi data as they drive drive by, wi-fi data the affected people were blasting into the air.

As for the topic of this thread, I use cloud storage all the time for important and unimportant documents. Dropbox and Skydrive mirror my data across several computers, making it accessible wherever I am from those computers or from my phone. If those services ever shutdown over night, it would be annoying in the sense that I wouldn't have synced copies, but I'd still have copies because of the previous mirroring.

Depending on the service, storing something in the cloud doesn't meaning it's only stored in the cloud.
I wasn't implying some "nefarious" purpose (I suppose you are referring to acts like stealing bank account passwords, etc). I implied that Google collected this data on purpose and that there can be no legitimate reason for them to collect that data. The fact that they didn't delete it immediately after "discovering" that they had collected it also supports my theory.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote