Thread: LRF output
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #46
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Ok, I've started to play around some more with prs500 et al. I'm using a recently updated Ubuntu install (Feisty Fawn). I installed the tools as per the instructions on Kovid's page, without any notable problems. (Unlike my attempt to get it to work in Edgy Eft by using a (botched) Python2.5 install)

As in my previous post, I need to SUDO all commands to work properly, but I think there are still some serious Permissions issues since everything seems to default to root ownership, which is frowned upon in normal use from what I understand.

- The GUI finally works, however I can only view or delete files on the device, even non-DRMed files I created, lrf or rtf. I cannot move them to the library which again is owned by root, no changes allowed. I chown it, no difference: I cannot copy files from the device or edit the meta data (on the device only, since I can't get them into the library), the buttons remain greyed out.

- Back to the commandline: I can copy them now, but only ONE at a time, since the prs500 cp command does not seem to accept wildcards (i.e. *.lrf) to backup all the books from the memory card to a local folder, as an example.
Obviously that does not add them to the library(.db file) anyway.

- The files are owned by root, so I need to chown them all to able to do anything with them.

(Personally, I would prefer a simple local folder with the books inside for easier manipulation instead of a closed database, like the way prs500 deals with the files on the actual device anyway, or the Connect software on Windows)

- I have not managed to change the metadata on files on the PRS500 directly, either.

Any pointers would be appreciated, perhaps my limited experience with the Linux shell is part of the problem...

Add: I found out about a rather dangerous stunt, turning myself into root using sudo su, then running prs500-gui, that didn't work either.

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 05-06-2007 at 07:18 PM.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote