View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 04:03 AM   #303
dgvirtual
Enthusiast
dgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
problem with cover uploads

I have noticed that when I upload cover, the covers in .kobo/images/ directory do get replaced (I have opened those with Gimp to make sure they are really updated), but the reader still shows the old covers in many places (like the main screen, or the book list). The only place where I consistently see the new cover image is the image of the currently read book while the device sleeps.

I have also tried to search the device to see if there are other thumbnail/image files that are added when I add the book, that the Kobo Utilities plugin perhaps fails to replace upon cover upload. Nothing.

Another interesting thing is that the images in .kobo/images seem to be not necessary for an image to be displayed on the default view of the reader. This is the whole process of how I found it out:

I created a book; I uploaded a book to the reader, disconnected it, saw the covers. Then I reconnected the reader, inspected the .kobo/images directory and found there the three thumbnails of the book. Then I recreated the cover in Calibre, updated the epub file, and reuploaded the updated epub to the device, and then uploaded the covers using the Kobo utilities plugin. The files in .kobo/images got updated. Detached the device, and still saw the default screen with the old thumbnail of the book. Then I deleted the book from the device. Reconnected it, and reuploaded the book. Disconnected. And saw on the title page the old cover again! Got really angry, reattached the device to computer, went into he .kobo/images dir and found there no thumbnails for the book!

I suspect (although I cannot check that) that the smaller image thumbnails get stored as binary data in the Kobo library database. Could it be so? If so, is there a way for the Kobo utilities to also update the database?

By the way, I am using Kobo Glo with firmware 2.8.1
dgvirtual is offline   Reply With Quote