View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Yes. He probably couldn't think of one at the time and meant to go back to it later but forgot.

http://melaniecard.com/for-writers/d...riptive-beats/
It could have been deliberate. I read a trad-pub book a while ago (by Raymond Khoury called The Templar Salvation - a sort of action adventure thing) in which the author used the phrase "for a beat" quite regularly (I am guessing it was supposed to be in place of "for a moment" but presumably he thought "beat" was better for action scenes). I found it distracting, perhaps because it's not something I'd seen much of before. He also used phrases like "for a nanosecond" and similar that seemed inappropriate to my eye.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote