View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Well, "preview" and "Alpha" are different words, at least to me. And with no doubts, this is because Honeycomb was rushed to the market. Not so good for the customer who wants something working out of the box, for the most part.
Again you are misunderstanding what is being said. "Preview" is Google Marketing speak to imply "Alpha", "Beta", "Release Candidate". And just means it's not ready for the public. The folks that are running HoneyComb on the nook are running pre-production Honeycomb.

I don't believe Honeycomb was rushed and released early to the public. Does it have issues, yes as all software does.

Quote:
The main difference between most recent Android Tablets and NC is the Tegra processor. On the NC, even when you will be able to install a most recent Android version, the original hardware is still there. The result is, ending with a device which is being pushed to the limits and the battery will drain faster or the CPU will over heat. This is particularly true with Android 3.0
The problem with your logic here is that is not what has transpired. 2.2 had speed improvements over 2.1 and 2.3 had speed improvements over 2.2. By your argument each version should have required more hardware when in fact lesser hardware became more capable.

Quote:
Honeycomb is focussed to a bigger screen and more "fancy" video experience; a powerful processor is key for that, something that NC simply does not have, and it is not bad or good, is just that it was not designed for that.
There is that aspect of Honeycomb. But for many they just want the optimized tablet interface and improved browser. Not everybody want's a tablet for playing the latest video games and watching HD videos.

I'm with you here, I'm eyeing some of those dual core Tegras, but I'm waiting for a 7" honeycomb device since anything bigger is not portable.

I really did not buy the nook with hopes of upgrading it to an android tablet. As you did I would have chosen to buy one outright. However my wife gifted me the nook so I decided to keep it and just upgrade it to a tablet.

In the end I got the device I wanted for $250 instead of paying for $799.(Those where the rates at Christmas).

Quote:
I guess that at the end is up to the user decide what is more important or not: get something cheap that they can hack later or buy something that works out of the box and was designed and tested for. Or even wait a year or so when prices go down a bit.
I'm with you here and agree with you. But I think part of the charm the nook has is that the hardware is just as capable as the GT at half the price. With the right software.

Quote:
By the way, even if the GT does not get Honeycomb upgrade (which at this point is just mere especulation) the possibility of hacking the device is basically the same that with a NC.
Yes Samsung Galaxy products have very good development support. However once you start rooting/ROMing your GT your in the same boat as the nook, but there is still one thing you can't do with the GT and that is get it as cheap as a nook
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote