View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #198
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I've been reading books for 50 years without backlights or frontlights. Never bothered me. Never used a booklight. I'm rarely someplace where I can't just turn on the lights and when I am I usually doing something where I wouldn't be reading anyway like walking home in the evening.
The need for an external source of lighting is one of the reasons I went electronic. I share a room with my brother and I often read into the wee hours so I can't just keep the lights on. I've yet to find a booklight that worked well for me. Often, they just make the book/e-ink reader too heavy and usually cast a shadow on the page which I find mighty annoying. That's why for nighttime reading, I pretty much stuck with smartphones or other LCD devices until recently.

I'm really glad we have frontlit e-ink readers now. One really nice benefit to self-lit e-ink readers that I hadn't thought of is reading while in a moving vehicle. Usually, it's just way too bright outside to read on an LCD but having to pass through tunnels, etc, meant a lot of interruptions if reading on the PRS-350. On the Kobo Aura HD, I just turn on the light and set it to around 10% or so and it's good for uninterrupted reading whether it's very sunny outside or we're passing through a dark tunnel. Just wish the firmware worked as well as and was as feature rich as the Sony PRS-350 with PRS+. In terms of features and design, I still much prefer the PRS-350. Alas, the convenience factor of the frontlit Aura HD makes it my go-to reader.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote