View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #120
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
But murray, as I said before, unless one knows precisely how Apple does its LCD orders (monthly, every 3 weeks, quarterly, every two weeks, or just as needed?) then it is almost impossible to know from these current reports whether the quantities mentioned are within normal quarterly ranges or not -- except in an instance where the number seems way too high (ie, 65 million).
So the numbers are meaningless?
Either the numbers say that Apple originally ordered twice what seems to me to be a plausible sales estimate, in which case I don't believe them, or they say nothing at all, in which case what is the point of discussing them?

Quote:
So if you saw a report that simply said Apple doubled its initial order of 11 million LCD displays in January (not mentioning a quarter) -- and the source was anonymous in the supply chain -- would you pooh-pooh such a report as you are doing here?
If it were presented as 'evidence' that Apple's sales for the quarter were doing to be double expectations, yes. I think there is zero chance that Apple's sales will be double their previous years quarter.

Again, as I have said all along, my issues with the story is not that Apple will only be selling ~30 million iPhones, it is that they would ever have expected to sell double that.

Quote:
Do you need to be a thread-starter to be a flag waver?
I'm not a flag waver. I have Apple products, I have Android products, I have a BlackBerry phone. I've never owned an iPhone, and have no intention to.
I think Apple products are good for some people, and bad for others.
In the small tablet market, for example, the Nexus 7 would be a better choice than the iPad Mini for most consumers.
I don't feel that Apple's success or failure in any way impacts on my self-worth, and don't really understand the fan mentality that does approach things in such ways, whether in sports, politics, electronics or any other arena.
I have an iPod Touch and an iPad because at the time I bought them they were the best products on the market for my needs. I think that is still probably true of the iPod Touch. The iPad, I'm not sure, the new high-res Samsung would definitely be a strong competitor.