View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Thread theme revisited

Sorry for reviving an old thread. The reason for doing it is that I have been revisiting this problem, and been playing around a little. I'm posting this back here as a reference for myself, and maybe for others who are working on the same problem.

Short summary of the problem: to move a div (containing text) around on the screen, eg. center it or letting it float right or left.

Goal: being able to e.g. center a block of e.g. left-justified text

Example for illustration purposes:
Code:
<div class="outer">
  <div class="inner">
    <div class="all_left">This is the first line, which is a long one</div>
    <div class="all_center">This second line is shorter</div>
    <div class="all_right">This line is shortest</div>
  </div>
  <p class="margin_top">This is paragraph 1. It follows directly after the inner div and need to be cleared to take its rightful place in the document flow.</p>
</div>
<p>This is paragraph 2. It follows directly after the outer div. It should be unaffected by whatever is inside the outer div.</p>
CSS to discribe the classes used:
Code:
body{
   background-color:green;
}
.all_right{
   text-align:right !important;
}
.all_left{
   text-align:left !important;
}
.all_center{
   text-align:center !important;
}
.margin_top{
   margin-top:2em;
}
p{
   text-indent:1em !important;
   margin-top:0;
   margin-bottom:0;
   text-align:justify;
}
I have found at least three ways of doing this:

1. Using float:
Code:
.outer{
   width:100%;
   background-color:blue;
}
.inner{
   float:right;
   background-color:red;
}
.inner + *{
   /*Clearing whatever comes after the floating div*/
   clear:both;
}
Pros: clean code, easy to read. The outer div is not necessary
Cons: the floating element needs to be cleared. Some CSS properties are ignored, e.g. the margin-top of the first paragraph. Text can only float left or right. Impossible to center the inner block.

2. Alignment of an inline-block
Code:
.outer{
   text-align:right;
}
.inner{
   display:inline-block;
}
Pros: block can be aligned left, right or centered, depending on the text-align-property
Cons: inner and outer div needed, more messy code. Rendering machine needs to support display- and text-align-property

3. Adjusting margins of table
Code:
.outer{
}
.inner{
   display:table;
   margin-left:auto;
   margin-right:0;
}
Pros: Outer div not needed. Clean code. Inner block can be centered by setting both margin-left and margin-right to auto.
Cons: Rendering engine must support display-property.

Question: is the last "method" semantically correct? I.e, does display:table mean that I'm saying that the inner block is a table (not semantically correct) or am I stating that is should just be presented as if it were a table? I am guessing the last, and that it is "valid" semantically as well as technically.

Full example attached in zip-file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Centering div.zip (1.3 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Iznogood; 03-02-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote