View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
A Modest Proposal

Well - we're shaping up to be a quite diverse membership - which is great! Since we want to focus on reading & sharing thoughts & opinions of what we're reading - I heartily support the suggestions to avoid dwelling on a debate on what is "literary" and not get bogged down in a lengthy voting system.

I would suggest trying this:

1. Each person sends 2 titles to the OP (sun surfer) via PM - with a short explanation of why you like the title, or why the group might like it, etc. This way the thread doesn't derail into arguments over relative merits of choices. Only the OP will know what titles are in the pool.

2. The OP gets to choose the first title and announces it, and serves as the first discussion leader/moderator. For our first round, a shorter work might be advisable as we get to know one another, and allow everyone time to finish it.

Since we are just getting to know one another, and some may be cash strapped these days, I would suggest - at least for the first selection - to pick titles available free here at MobileRead in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library of member-created ebooks.
(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline)

3. If the first choice bombs, the OP can then select an alternate title from the pool.

4. Members can choose to read & participate, or sit out for the next selection if they are completely not interested in the current selection.

5. When the first title is read & done - the OP can either select the next "ring-leader' or a member could volunteer - and members would then each send 2 more titles to the new leader.
The new leader could specify an area or subject, i.e., biography, foreign works in translation, etc.

I think this anonymous submission of titles would let members feel "safe" in suggesting works that they think other members might not feel qualify as "literary" -- and let all of us learn about new authors & their works.

What do you all think about trying this?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote