View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #109
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm currently finishing up Grotesque, by Natsuo Kirino. It's a kind of murder mystery, but it's also about an egocentric and perhaps unreliable narrator.

It's an unusual book, constructed with different narratives, what literary critic Bakhtin calls heteroglossia -- many voices telling a story.

Kirino is a young Japanese writer, and this is her second book to be translated into English. I haven't yet read her first translated title.

Interestingly, I saw this at Borders over a period of about one month and I decided I wanted to buy it and read it. The real tug-of-war was whether to buy it as a hardback First Edition (for my collection), or buy it as an ebook. The ebook won out for two reasons:

1) the ebook was about $12.00 cheaper than the hardback. (It's not available yet as a trade paper.)

2) I desperately need to downsize my book collection.

Has anyone else here read any of her work?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote