View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #187
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Hi,

I actually use Acrobat to routinely compress the files I get back from Bookscan.us (I dropped my 1DS membership after a while). The size difference is astounding: some compressed books end up being 20% the size of the original scan. There is a time cost of course: my Core-i3 laptop can take many minutes to compress each file.

I have a lot of textbooks and the original color scan might result in a 500MB file - saving this file as "Reduced Size PDF" will often result in a 120MB file. For black-and-white-only scans (offered by Bookscan.us), a 40MB fiction book might be reduced to 15MB using the above trick. Thus, this Acrobat Pro feature has really helped me: my collection (in reduced size form) is currently at 13GB; without compression, I would probably have found a 64GB microsd card a tight fit. I personally found Bookscan.us's OCR adequate when I do my spot checks: I have used Adobe's OCR a few times on other documents but it takes way too long to run so I find the time penalty for the non-discernable improvement not valuable.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote