View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Ok, so the bussiness-model is based on the fact that you sell paperbacks at a loss because you have already "brought home the bacon" with hardbacks?
Not at a loss, but with a lower margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
I don't understand why publishers think their business model is some sort of sacred thing that must not change. Every business model changes, especially with the introduction of new technology. I'm sure coach makers thought Henry Ford was using "predatory pricing" with his Model Ts. I also fail to understand why they are going after Amazon and not WalMart or Target with all of their $9 hardcover shenanigans? Rubbish, all of it!
Of course the business model will have to change. And of course they are mostly trying to cling to the old ways of doing things, because they are scared of change. Who isn't?

Personally I wouln't mind paying books a bit more, if that could ensure a healthy publishing industry willing to spend that margin on quality. I do hope the new model leaves some room for quality publishing
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote