View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I read and enjoyed Ian MacDonald's Vishnu at the Cat Circus novella which was nominated for last year's Hugo Award. It's set in an interesting future India and apparently it's part of some sort of series which consists of one novel and a short story collection. Here's Ansible's review of the lot, which apparently has had multiple Hugo noms over the years.

I've also bought but not yet read Dan Simmons' Song of Kali, which is said to be a horror fantasy classic. Simmons' other work is highly spoken of elsewhere in Reading Recs and this particular novel won a World Fantasy Award and is available in DRM-free MultiFormat via Fictionwise, which currently has a 55% off coupon in the Deals forum.

If you like murder mysteries, there's Canadian author Don Hauka's Jinnah series, which is Indo-Canadian but travels back and forth. I haven't actually read the books myself, but I enjoyed the CBC's televised adaptations and they had pretty good plots and interesting characters, in my opinion.

(If you don't mind film recs, Indo-Canadian director Deepa Mehta does excellent work.)

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote