View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #23341
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
SNIP

I am not sure what powers the Monarch has in Belgium but I would guess that the Monarch is very careful because all it takes a mistep or two for Parliament to decide that a Monarch is not needed.
Heh, that made me laugh. You'd think so wouldn't you. Yet every Belgian royal has made major missteps, most of them very recently. The worst consequence was a discussion in parliament to lower the dotation (11,5 million euro's every year!) they get. Which probably won't happen in the very near future.

Sure, they have a ceremonial role. At least we're that lucky. One of our kings, Boudewijn I, once refused to sign the law making abortion legal in Belgium because of his personal beliefs. They had to decide he was 'unfit to rule' and had to be dismissed from his office for 36 hours. Just last month Fabiola (wife of former king Boudewijn) decided to start a fund filled with every penny she ever got from the government (which is in short the people's money and should go to 'the common cause') just so she could give it to her family when she dies. And not just any family. No, they had to have a christian marriage. And then I haven't even talked about our two brilliant princes, who can't go anywhere without saying or doing something incredibly stupid and embarrassing.

At least they made sure the monarch doesn't have any power any more. He's just an adviser these days. But they still represent the country.

Nope, not a big fan of monarchies And definitely not a fan of the Belgian monarchy.

I'd best make a walk right now, to calm down a bit. I'll go get a cup of tea, my cup is empty at the moment.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote